Stephen's Attempt @ Vegetarian Poutine for national cheesecurd day!
After a few horrifying documentaries, Nidhi and I decided to try and switch over to a vegetarian diet. Needless to say that finding decent recipes is rare!
After some thorough digging, I found out it was National Cheesecurd Day. To my excitement, I was able to find vegetarian poutine.
To my surprise, Tia even enjoyed it!
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Cook the onions in butter until transparent
- Add the garlic and onion powders, flour and cornstarch and stir until the butter is absorbed
- Add soy sauce and vegetable broth and simmer for 10 minutes
- Blend/puree with an immersion blender for a smooth consistency
Check out the Viet Vegans blog to see what else they are cooking!
- 4 baking potatoes
- Slice the potatoes into 1/2 inch thick sticks. I used a french fry cutter to make my life easier
- Soak the potato slices in cold water for one hour.
- Rinse the fries
- Lay the fries on paper towels and pat them dry as much as possible
- Place the fries in a single layer on a baking sheet
- Turn oven on and preheat to 400 degrees and place rack on the lower third of the oven
- Bake for 15-20 mins
- Remove, toss, place in a single layer again and bake for 10 more minutes or until brown and crispy.